
Click to view full size
In the streets, there is a common saying that Jamaica must be God's favourite channel. If that is so, then last week's episode would have to be a horror story titled The Abandoned Road to Recovery.
Although the ink on the Auditor General's most recent report is barely dry, the tears that have wet the faces of residents in the west and small businesses across the island have been flowing for months. It is a cruel irony. The audit of Hurricane Melissa relief spending has confirmed what many Jamaicans have suspected for months; critical resources are available but gridlocked behind state bureaucracy like afternoon traffic on a rainy, month-end, holiday weekend. Of the over $1.44 billion donated for recovery, a measly $26.2 million had been spent four months after the hurricane. That's 1.8 per cent utilisation or a rate of 0.45 per cent per month. At that pace it would take 18.5 years or an entire generation to fully exhaust these urgently needed funds. To add insult to injury, according to the report that was tabled on May 12, 2026, Hurricane Beryl relief donations totalling over $150 million remained unspent. Hurricane Beryl slammed Jamaica's south coast in July 2024. And perhaps the most damning part of this episode is ODPEM's official defence cited in the audit. When asked why these monies remained untouched, the response was a master class in bureaucratic finger pointing: they said the delay was due to an absence of authorisation from the Ministry of Finance to expend the funds.
The government's broader counter-argument came from Parliamentary Secretary Senator Marlon Morgan, who said the $1.44 billion in unspent donations was ‘exponentially outstripped’ by the $11.3 billion committed across 420 Hurricane Melissa relief and recovery contracts currently under way. He also argued the audit findings were ‘a timely and compelling justification of the urgent need for NaRRA’ — the National Reconstruction and Resilience Authority — framing the bureaucratic failure as evidence for why the new body is needed rather than as a condemnation of the current administration. Critics say none of that explains why donated funds specifically sat untouched.
The portable companion to gazettE. Get notifications, track read articles, and more. The latest news from Trinidad and Tobago, in one place.
Related stories
See articles related to "Yaneek Page | That 1.8% Pothole: How the Post-Melissa Recovery is Totalling Some Businesses"