
Click to view full size
Agriculture Minister Zulfikar Mustapha and several Cabinet colleagues on Friday visited Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara (ECD) where they met with residents and farmers to assess concerns affecting the community, particularly drainage, agricultural access, and the use of public reserves. During a walkthrough of the area, Mustapha observed that the reserves where an interlocking drainage system previously existed have largely been occupied by residents, leaving the area without an effective drainage network. He said this has contributed to flooding during periods of heavy rainfall.
“The main issue is residential drainage. We did a walkthrough of the area. We noticed that all the reserves where the interlocking drainage system existed have been taken up by residents. There is no drainage system in the area, so when there is heavy rainfall, flooding occurs. We will have to resurvey the area to see how drainage channels can be established. Until that is done, this area cannot have effective drainage,” the Minister said.
He said a detailed assessment will be conducted and a report prepared for submission to President Dr Irfaan Ali, outlining the situation and possible interventions. The Minister said the Ministry will continue working with residents as the necessary steps are taken to address the drainage challenges.
The portable companion to gazettE. Get notifications, track read articles, and more. The latest news from Trinidad and Tobago, in one place.
Related stories
See articles related to "Govt to resurvey Cane Grove as residents seek relief from flooding"